The aftermath of a car accident in Moreno Valley can be a stressful time for victims. It is even more stressful when you’re not properly prepared to file an accident claim. One of the first steps to take is filing a police report. The investigating officer can help you document the accident scene and put the pieces together in their car accident report. Although police reports may or may not determine who was at fault, it can be beneficial to have before filing a claim or hiring an accident attorney.
Find out more about why a car accident police report is important to have and information on how to get a police report for a car accident claim.
Why Is It Crucial to File a Police Report?
Calling the police to file a crash report is incredibly important whether you’re involved in a minor or a serious accident. While a police report isn’t necessarily required to file a claim, the authorities can more accurately identify the at-fault parties involved. In the end, this makes filing an insurance claim much easier. In addition, a police report represents an unbiased view of the incident, which can be used as evidence.
Apart from the report, having a police officer at the accident scene can be vital for your safety. In Moreno Valley, auto accidents are dangerous, but the aftermath can create more challenging situations. When police officers arrive, they will secure the area and ensure that all parties are safe. They can also help call emergency services, like EMTs or provide medical attention until the ambulance arrives.
Information a Police Report Provides
A police accident report is an unbiased viewpoint of a law enforcement officer when an auto accident occurs. A police report can include the following information:
- The precise location of the car accident
- Statements of witnesses to the crash
- Time and date when the car accident occurred
- Injuries sustained by passengers, drivers, pedestrians, or others
- Damage to car and property due to the accident
- Statements of drivers regarding their view of the accident and other important facts.
How to File a Police Report in Moreno Valley
Now that you know why a police report is essential, you may be wondering how to file a one. Here is how to do so:
- Under California law, you must call the police from the car accident scene if it results in injuries, fatalities, or property damage. Therefore, you should call 911 and explain what happened. Make sure you do not admit fault while talking to the police officer. Only state the facts of what happened. Also, get paramedics to the accident scene if anyone has sustained injuries.
- Discuss the details of your car accidents with the police officer and answer the series of questions the officer asks you during an interview. The police officer will also interview the other drivers involved in the accident and witnesses to determine the cause of the accident.
- Most importantly, make sure the police give you a copy of the accident report. Make copies of it, as your insurance provider may need it.
- Although this will likely be in the report, it’s also best to collect witness statements and take pictures of the accident scene, property damages, or any injuries before you leave.
What Information Do You Need to Provide When Filing a Police Report?
After a car accident, the police officer will try to give a third-party account of the accident. While the police officer will have a standard set of questions to ask everyone involved in the accident, be prepared to provide standard information. They will usually ask for information, such as name, phone number, address, driver’s license, and license plate number.
It’s always an excellent thought to take pictures or videos of damage for insurance purposes. These pictures or videos can also help the police officer better understand the situation. If there are witnesses, you can have their statement recorded on video if they agree to do so.
A Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You With Your Claim
If you are filing a claim in Moreno Valley against an at-fault party, you should have a police report for your case. The lawyers at Empire Accident Attorneys are here to represent you whether you’re filing a claim with your own insurance company, have a lawsuit against another third party, or want to take action against the at-fault driver. Contact us today for a case review.